Saturday, December 25, 2004

"Two Trees" Barbecue Sauce

This is an adaptation of a recipe I found...somewhere. I know the original used sugar as the sweetener, and it was my own sweetie who suggested substituting maple syrup.

I lived in New England for 18 years and since then always have pure maple syrup on hand.

Combined with the other lead flavor, hickory smoke (thus the "two trees"), this is a sauce our family can't let go of. Since I first made it, we haven't wanted to use any other recipe for barbecue sauce. This one works best with pork, but also goes well with chicken. I don't favor sweet sauces on beef, so haven't used it that way.


Eric's Hickory Maple Barbecue Saucerecipe

1 cup water
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
2/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp molasses
1 tsp Hickory liquid smoke
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp ground mustard
¼ tsp sweet paprika
¼ tsp garlic granules or powder
dash cayenne

Whisk ingredients together in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes or until thick. Makes 1¼ cups.

No comments: